The Sciences is the fourth studio album by American doom metal band Sleep. The album was released with little warning on April 20, 2018 through Third Man Records. It was the band's first full-length album since Dopesmoker (2003) on which the song "Sonic Titan" appeared as a live bonus track. Just a month after the release of The Sciences, Sleep released the non-album song "Leagues Beneath" through Adult Swim's 2018 weekly single series.
The Sciences is the fourth studio album by Sleep, and the band’s first new studio album since the 2003 version of Dopesmoker. The band has characterized their newer material as. n amalgamated effort of decades of riff immersion. The Sciences Q&A.
The Sciences by Sleep, released 20 April 2018 1. Marijuanaut's Theme 2. Sonic Titan 3. Giza Butler 4. Antarcticans Thawed 5. The Botanist 6. The Sciences. Rob Great Album, Every track is killer, Glad they got back together to give us this recording.
It's been 15 years since Sleep's last album, Dopesmoker, whose 63-minute title track was all about marijuana. They surprised-released its long-awaited follow-up, The Sciences, today, which, probably not coincidentally, just so happens to be April 20. The news came yesterday via Stereogum, who noted that it's on Third Man Records, the label owned by Jack White, and paid special attention to the fact that one of its six tracks (listed below) is called Marijuanaut’s Theme.
The album is, in the purest and most straightforward sense, a logical and hugely satisfying progression for Sleep and a very worthy follow-up to their previous work. The essential trick of The Sciences-and the reason it feels like more than an overdue cash-in-is these 40something dudes have managed to grow up without growing old. Their minds are still focused on weed and the escape that it offers, but that’s just the gag; these riffs, rhythms, and the mantra-like singing of Al Cisneros are a drug unto themselves, evidence of a band that’s improved upon their animating idea.
Sleep – The Sciences. Label: Third Man Records – none. The Sciences (2xLP, Album, Ltd, Gre). The Sciences (2xLP, Album, Ltd, Bla).
Since then, Sleep have slowly but steadily returned to being a working band, and 2018's The Sciences, their first full-length effort since Dopesmoker, is less of a follow-up to that obsessive triumph than a victory lap, a consolidation of their strengths confirming this trio still has the vision and the muscle to bring their distinctive sound to life.
Sleep will release their first new album in almost 20 years, The Sciences, tomorrow. April 20 only falls on a Friday once every seven years, so why waste it? Modern metal’s ultimate weed band will exhale six brand new tracks tomorrow, totaling 53 minutes. The Sciences will be the first Sleep album since and will feature the freshest Sleep music since The Clarity was released as a single via Adult Swim in 2014.
- Licensed To – Third Man Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Sleep
- Copyright (c) – Sleep
- Recorded At – Sharkbite Studios
- Mastered At – Chicago Mastering Service
- Lacquer Cut At – Chicago Mastering Service
- Pressed By – Third Man Pressing
- Manufactured By – Third Man Pressing
- Drums, Cymbal [Cymbals], Other [Model Craft], Photography By – Jason Roeder
- Electric Bass [Four String], Vocals, Pipe [Water Pipe] – Al Cisneros
- Electric Guitar [Six String], Acoustic Guitar [Six And Twelve String] – Matt Pike
- Engineer, Mixed By – Noah Landis
- Lacquer Cut By – BW*
- Layout, Design [Composition] – Josh Graham
- Mastered By – Bob Weston*
- Music By, Lyrics By, Producer – Sleep
- Tour Manager [Road Manager] – Damon Kelly
Notes℗ © 2018 Sleep LLC under exclusive license to Third Man Records. LLC
Limited edition first pressing on translucent green vinyl
Issued in a gatefold jacket with insert.
Center labels include the following text around the outer edge: "Manufactured by Third Man Pressing in Detroit MI"
Morse Code Translations:
Side A - PURPLE KUSH
Side B - SKYWALKER OG
Side C - CAT PISS ROMULAN
Side D - SUPER LEMON HAZE
CMS logo [sideways Ⓨ] in runouts denotes lacquer was cut at Chicago Mastering Service.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Scanned): 813547025869
- Barcode (Printed): 8 13547 02586 9
- Matrix / Runout (A Side runout, etched): III TMR-547-A [CMS Logo] BW 180313 .__. .._ ._. .__. ._.. . / _._ .._ ... ....
- Matrix / Runout (B Side runout, etched): III TMR-547-B [CMS Logo] BW 180214 ... _._ _.__ .__ ._ ._.. _._ . ._. / ___ __.
- Matrix / Runout (C Side runout, etched): III TMR-547-C [CMS Logo] BW 180214 _._. ._ _/ .__. .. ... ... / ._. ___ __ .._ ._.. ._ _.
- Matrix / Runout (D Side runout, etched): III TMR-547-D [CMS Logo] BW 180214 ... .._ .__. . ._. / ._.. . __ ___ _. / .... ._ __.. .
|TMR 547||Sleep||The Sciences (2xLP, Album)||Third Man Records||TMR 547||UK, Europe & US||2018|
|TMR 547||Sleep||The Sciences (2xLP, Album, Ltd, Bla)||Third Man Records||TMR 547||USA & Canada||2018|
|TMR-547||Sleep||The Sciences (Cass, Album, Cle)||Third Man Records||TMR-547||US||2018|
|TMR 547||Sleep||The Sciences (CD, Album)||Third Man Records||TMR 547||US||2018|
|TMR-547||Sleep||The Sciences (Cass, Album, Ltd)||Third Man Records||TMR-547||US||2018|